The Academy of Performing Arts © 2023 – All Rights Reserved
APA Policies and Procedures
General Info For APA Families
On our website, we have a “members only” section. Here you will be able to view your transaction history, enrollment, contacts, etc. If you have a question about your auto-pay account, please check your account first before you call. If you do not know your password, our system will email you a temporary password.
We hand out the Academy Calendar in September. If you did not receive one, we keep extra copies in our lobby. Or you can view and download it at academywi.com/calendar
Dance Class Attendance and Tardiness:
The studio reserves the right to have students who come late sit out and watch – warm-up is done right at the beginning and if dancers are not properly warmed up and stretched, they can severely hurt themselves.
If your child is sick for a group class, you do not need to call in to let us know unless their absence means they will have been gone 2 or more consecutive weeks. This policy does not apply to our Competitive Teams. If you miss a group dance class, feel free to attend any open GROUP class we offer for your age group for a make-up. This is not required.
Dance Class Dress Code:
We have a dress code for all dance students with required attire and shoes. Having the proper shoes is required to participate is the Showcase(s). View our regular and summer dress code HERE.
Music Class Attendance:
Please notify APA of a music student’s absence at least 12 hours in advance of the student’s regular lesson time. Makeup lessons are not guaranteed. But typically students may receive up to 2 makeup lessons per semester (Fall, Spring, & Summer) if certain criteria are met. Please see our full Music Lesson Makeup Policy here.
After Class Pick Up / Safety:
The safety of all of our students at APA is very important to us. Please make sure a parent or guardian is present at the end of every class to pick up your student. Your child is unsupervised and we cannot be responsible for them after their class has ended. Transition periods between classes can be very hectic and we want to make sure every student is safe and taken care of.
Extreme Weather/Snow Days:
APA will decide if we will remain open during a snow/ice storm. An email will be sent to all families by 3 pm if we decide to close Monday-Friday or by 8 am on Saturdays. To receive updates, weather closures, and delays, please opt in by texting APA to (414) 240-8458. Even if you agreed to texts at registration, you still need to opt in using the instructions above.
**IMPORTANT SNOW DAYS NOTE FOR PRIVATE MUSIC STUDENTS: Teachers will contact you if they will have Virtual Lessons, or if they will schedule an In-Person Makeup at a later date.
Automatic Tuition Withdrawal Details:
All tuition payments are charged to the credit card or bank account you put on file with us.
Charges will happen on the 15th of every month to pre-pay for the upcoming month.
Your first month’s tuition is required to hold your spot and our auto-pay will start on September 15th to pre-pay for October’s tuition.
To withdraw from any classes a parent or guardian must complete and sign a withdrawal form provided by the front desk by the 14th of the previous month to discontinue any classes or private lessons.
If you do NOT notify us by the 14th of the previous month, tuition will be charged on the 15th and cannot be refunded. All withdrawals require a 2-week notice.
If you are unhappy with the class you are in, please remember it may not be too late to switch the style of class you are enrolled in – we want to make sure your child is happy and enjoying his/her class!
We host 2 optional performances for all our music students in December and May. Detailed information will be provided in our monthly newsletters. All music students will receive a makeup/drop policy form – if you did not receive one, please ask your teacher!
All dancers are invited to participate in our optional Winter Showcase in December and Spring Showcase in June. Detailed information will be provided in our monthly newsletters. Please see the front desk for more information on how many dances per showcase all of our Combo Classes will do (this includes Ballet/Tap Combos for 1st Grade and Under).
All regular dance classes will only participate in one show per showcase and will use the same costume for Winter and Spring.
Costumes will charge dates will be communicated to you via email and will be charged with your automatic withdrawal tuition payment method. Recreational Dance Costume Fees:
Grades 1st and Younger: $70 plus tax
Grades 2nd-5th: $78 plus tax
Grades 5th-Up: $83 plus tax
None of our costumes are custom fit, alterations would be at your expense.
Learn more about the showcases:
APA Winter Showcase
APA Spring Showcase
Additional Dance Info
- Our student dress code is available here.
- Dancers can store their belongings inside the classrooms, in our cubbies.
- Make sure to bring a bottle of water and use the bathroom before class as we do not take bathroom/drink breaks. If a student needs to use the restroom during class, they should tell their teacher.
- Parents of students that are 1st grade and younger are asked to stay on the property, especially if your child is not potty trained. Parents are more than welcome to stay and watch classes through our observation windows, but are not required for Grades 2nd and up!
- Dance shoes should only be worn inside the classroom. Please do not let your dancer wear these outside.
- If your dancer needs to change to accommodate the dress code before class, please use our restrooms.
- We have teacher biographies available in a binder in our lobby, and on our website. We also have class assistants for Grades 1st & Under if there are more than 5 students inside of the classroom. Our class assistants are members of our Competitive Teams.
- If your child does not like the class they registered for, feel free to try another group class or style to see if it is a better fit for your child!
- Our Academy also offers Competitive Teams with auditions held in May for the following year. If your student is interested, please email our Team Coordinator [email protected] for details.
Additional Music Info
- Every student is required to bring their own instrument to every lesson except for piano and voice students.
- Guitar Rentals: Teachers recommend that clients purchase/rent a guitar. Younger students would want a youth guitar.
- Violin Rentals: Teachers recommend that clients rent a violin rather than purchase one if their student is young. Children can grow out of instruments quickly and rentals can be traded in for larger sizes.
- Students are required to bring their books to every lesson; APA sells books to students.
- Practice Time: Talk to your child’s specific teacher to find out exactly how often to practice and what to practice. Most teachers recommend practicing every day.
- Parents are recommended to attend lessons with their student if they are younger than 6 years old. That said, it is not always necessary to attend every lesson. Please ask your child’s specific teacher to find out if they would like you to attend every lesson.
- Students’ success is dependent on parent involvement, especially for young students. It is very helpful when students are monitored by their parents when practicing. Talk to your child’s specific teacher about how to practice. But, here are some general practice tips!
Information Collection, Use, and Sharing
APA is the sole owner of the information collected on this site. We only have access to/collect information that you voluntarily give us via email or other direct contact from you. We will not sell or rent this information to anyone.
We will use your information to respond to you, regarding the reason you contacted us. We will not share your information with any third party outside of our organization, other than as necessary to fulfill your request, e.g. to process your payment.
Your Access to and Control Over Information
You may opt out of any future contacts from us at any time. You can do the following at any time by contacting us via the email address or phone number given on our website:
- See what data we have about you, if any.
- Change/correct any data we have about you.
- Have us delete any data we have about you.
- Express any concern you have about our use of your data.
We take precautions to protect your information. When you submit sensitive information via the website, your information is protected both online and offline.
Wherever we collect sensitive information (such as credit card data), that information is encrypted and transmitted to us in a secure way. You can verify this by looking for a closed lock icon at the bottom of your web browser, or looking for “https” at the beginning of the address of the web page.
While we use encryption to protect sensitive information transmitted online, we also protect your information offline. Only employees who need the information to perform a specific job (for example, billing or customer service) are granted access to personally identifiable information. The computers/servers in which we store personally identifiable information are kept in a secure environment.
In order to register online through our website, a user must first complete the registration form. During registration a user is required to give certain information (such as name and email address). This information is used to contact you about the products/services on our site in which you have expressed interest.