Welcome Back! We hope you had a very happy holiday! All classes will resume on Wednesday, January 3rd. Our December performances were great! We cannot wait for our spring shows. We are so proud of our students for what they learned in a few months. Everyone did a fantastic job! Make sure to check out our Facebook page to see all of our pictures from performances, as well as other photos people have posted or tagged us in. www.facebook.com/theacademy2005
Please call or email us if you have any questions. Happy New Year – We are so happy to have you with us in 2018!
Winter Break: APA is closed Saturday, December 23rd – Tuesday, January 2nd. Classes resume on Wednesday, January 3rd.
APA Logo Wear for Sale: You can place orders from our online store from the 1st-10th of each month. We do not have these items available at the studio. All orders will take 3-4 weeks after the store closing date and will be shipped for free to APA. We will notify you when your items are available for pick-up. Click here to order!
License Plate Winner: Congrats to license plate 818-LUN. One of our staff members spotted your Academy window sticker while driving! Please contact the front desk so we know who you are and you will receive a $50 tuition credit. To participate, grab a FREE window sticker at the desk!
APA Student of the Month: Congrats to the following student –>
Competitive Dancer – Genevieve Rogowski – Nominated by Miss Jessie and Miss Heather: Genevieve is a hard worker in all of her classes. She is a very good listener and full of positive energy. She tries her best and does it with a smile on her face. We are so happy Genevieve is on Pre Team this year.
Attendance Requirement Reminder: Just a friendly reminder from the team contract everyone signed at the registration appointments with Miss Sarah: It is mandatory for every dancer to attend and dance in the last rehearsal before a competition. If they do not attend or are unable to dance in the rehearsal before a competition, the teachers will NOT place the student in the routine for that particular competition. Our teachers will adjust the formations the last rehearsal before a competition if someone does not attend or has an injury. The dancer is still required to attend the competition and support their team. We are unable to give refunds for competitions if you are not able to compete since fees are paid in advance.
Bring a Friend Week: January 15th-20th: This is only for our recreational and technique classes. We are excluding all rehearsal times. If you need an invite for your recreational class, please see the front desk.
Spring Showcase Qualifiers (Solos/Duos/Trios): Top performers throughout the competition season may qualify to perform in our Spring Showcases. This season, top qualifiers are chosen by, but not limited to, scores at competitions, progress made during lessons throughout the season, etc. Our selection team is committed to a fair evaluation of all performances but all decisions are final. Should someone choose not to, or be unable to perform in the Showcase, an alternate invitation may be offered. Even if a dancer is not selected to perform, we at APA believe there is value and growth in the time spent and new experiences gained for each performer.
Hair and Makeup Review: Overall, the hair and makeup looked very nice at the showcase! Thank you for learning the new styles! Some dancers were given specific corrections, additions and/or shown how to adjust. A few tips in general: it would be helpful for many dancers, especially with longer hair, to pin the hair against the head every couple inches as it’s wrapped so the bun doesn’t droop away as the day goes on. The hair on either side of the part (that should lay down above the ears) need much more hairspray as they catch the lights and show up on stage easily. Also, more makeup! We know it seems like a lot when you look in the mirror but remember, the stage lights make a lot of it “disappear” – extend the eyeliner past the eye (wing it out) and draw the light lines underneath and in the inner corners. This is all shown in detail in the YouTube videos (include link to playlist here).
- Competitive Fees charged 1/1/18 – As previously stated this will be automatically charged to your account on file. Please remember we are unable to register your dancer for competitions until we receive all fees.
- Solo, Duo, Trio and Small Group entry fees are due 2/1/18. Please pay by cash or check prior to 2/1/18, if you would like to avoid a 3% service fee that will be charged if we use your account on file (this includes checking accounts).
- Production Team ONLY – Rehearsal January 6th at the Oak Creek Location, 8am – 10am. BONUS Strength and Stretch class 10am –10:30am (anyone may attend bonus class).
- Lakefront Dance Classic Competition – ALL PRE-TEAM, PETITE, JUNIOR & TEEN TEAMS (No TAP dances) – Sunday, January 14th. This competition is held at the South Milwaukee PAC (same place as our showcases).
Tentative schedule – In previous years: doors open at 7:45am and Team Competition starts at 9:15am. Team awards ceremony will follow the competition. Solos, duos, trios perform in the afternoon. Exact times and award times will be emailed out approximately 1 week prior to the competition. Please remember it is the norm for all competitions to receive this information only 1 week prior. Please reserve the entire day for this competition. **There is a small spectator fee for this competition.
DANCE SHOWCASE INFO BELOW —————-
- Winter Dance Showcase DVD’s: If you purchased a DVD, we will contact you when the orders are available at APA. Please expect this in mid to late January. DVD order forms were due to Zaker Video by December 31st. If you are still interested in purchasing one please email [email protected] to see if you can still add on.
- Lost and Found Items from Winter Dance Showcase: We’ve found a couple of items that were left at SMPAC from our Winter Showcase. Please call us or see the front desk if you missing anything.
- Showcase Costumes: We use the same costumes from our winter show for our spring show. If you are transferring classes and the new class does not use the same costume, you would have to order a new costume.
|Date||PERFORMANCES AND COMPETITIONS||Below we listed if there are any spectator fees. The events that have spectator fees either have no dancer admission or a very low cost.|
|January 6th||Production only: Rehearsal 8am – 10am and Strength and Stretch bonus class 10am –10:30am (anyone may attend bonus class) |
|January 14th |
|Lakefront Dance Classic @ SMAPC in So. Milwaukee |
| Small spectator fee to get in |
|February 9th – 11th||NYCDA Convention in Chicago||Spectator fee, pay at the time of registration|
|February 16th – 17th||Competition Kickoff and Required Lock in (8pm – 8am) |
*Pre Team will not sleep over, but will have an earlier time.
|February 16th||Team Parent Meeting: 7:30pm in OC|
|February 17th||Production Rehearsal 8-10am, following the lock in |
|March 16th – 18th||Legacy Dance Championship @ Silver Lining Arts Center – West Bend, WI |
| No spectator fee |
|April 13th – April 15th||Thunderstruck Dance Competition @ SMPAC in So. Milwaukee|
|April 27th – 29th||Rainbow Dance Competition @ SMPAC in So. Milwaukee||No spectator fee|
|May 5th – 6th||APA Team Audition||Audition forms and fees due in advance|
|May 18th – 20th||Showstoppers Competition in the Dells @ Kalahari||No spectator fee|
Please see the team events calendar for updates and more dates